The best way to make it easy for yourself and to have lots of options without the need for multiple outfits is to have a capsule wardrobe of key pieces you can mix and match.
- Three suits - in your dark neutrals; a navy, a charcoal, and another in one of your dark neutrals - will form the basis of your work wardrobe. If where you work is more business casual, three jacket-and-trouser combinations will be perfect.
- Five working shirts in a mixture of your white and your colours that complement you and your suits. Note: make sure that the collar size is correct - if it's too small it won't look great and you will start being strangled as the day goes on. If in doubt go for the next size up.
- If you have a formal work setting, don't forget ties. Five ties in your colours that co-ordinate with your shirts will add the finishing touch.
- Your coat needs to be longer than your suit jacket and needs to be able to fit over it (and do up comfortably).
- For your feet, two to three pairs of leather shoes. This may seem a lot but shoes will last longer if you allow them to breathe between wears. Make sure they're polished (even use a quick clear polish) and have them re-soled before they wear out.
- Lastly, you will need a leather belt, wearing one is a must if your trousers have belt loops and it creates that finishing touch (as well as keeping your trousers up!) Don't wear too tight or you will look bigger than you are.
- Four suits in your neutral colours that are complementary or, if you prefer, a combination of four jackets and four skirts/trousers will form the basis of your capsule wardrobe.
- Six to eight tops - they are a great way to introduce colour and should be in a mixture of shirts and knitwear items. Remember, your white and use colours from your palette to keep it interesting.
- An overcoat or raincoat that will fit over your suit is a must, especially as it starts to get colder.
- Three pairs of formal shoes - sure that they fit with current trends and are appropriate to the season.
- Two quality handbags, in appropriate colours, will add the finishing touch. Use a bag as an opportunity to introduce your colours into your working wardrobe.
- Accessories should be appropriate to the environment and in keeping with your scale.
- Although we are heading into autumn, remember, showing too much flesh isn’t appropriate in a business or
- To look efficient, your grooming has to be impeccable. If your hair is unwashed, you will give the impression of not caring about yourself. Ladies, even the barest amount of make up is needed.
- Don't forget to rotate your clothes and shoes on a daily basis to allow your clothes a rest (and a clean) between wearing